Tuesday 17 March 2015

Delight In The Law of the Lord

I have been looking for a recipe that is close to a popular Hokkien restaurant's Kong Bak Pau which we all love. There the Kong Bak is meltingly soft, and intensively flavoured. Thanks to my friend A who shares this recipe. Her version is quite close to the flavour but not as light and meltingly tender as the restaurant's. But it is good and better than any other's I have tried.






The cooking of this Hokkien braised pork belly are done in 3 steps.  The pork is first boiled in boiling water for 30 minutes, then it is rubbed with both light and dark soy, and deep fried for a short 3 seconds on each side. The final preparation is to slice the pork and steam for 3 hours till soft and tender.






The deep frying of the pork belly is to seal the soy flavours and to hold the pork so that it stays firm. Take extra care when you fry the pork, the oil will splatter! Have a pan cover ready as soon as you drop the pork into the hot oil. When done, slice the pork and arrange on a plate for steaming. After steaming for 3 hours, it is done and ready to serve. I prefer to leave the pork cool, cover and chill in the fridge overnight.






The overnight preparation allows me to skim the hardened fats away. Steam the pork again just before serving. I could also have cooked the pork longer till the fats are melting but I prefer some bite and texture. Moreover, I don't want it to tear apart into two or three pieces when I'm serving.








The buns are bought from the supermarket. I like my Kong Bak Pau with lots of greens and sliced chillies.


Kong Bak Pau

Ingredients

250g pork belly
1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
10 lotus leaf buns, steamed for 5 minutes

For the marinade


2 tbsp light soya sauce, or more to taste.
2 tbsp dark soya sauce
20g chopped garlic (I used whole)
1 tablespoon cornflour
1 tsp sesame oil
A pinch of 5 spice powder
A pinch of pepper


Method


  • Cook the pork belly in boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain
  • Coat the p[ork belly with the 1 tablespoon of light and dark soy sauce.
  • Deep fry the pork belly for 30 seconds until golden brown. Slice the pork belly into 10-15cm thick pieces.
  • Add al the remaining ingredients for the marinade to the pork belly. Coat evenly.
  • Steam for 3 hours.
  • To serve, place a pork belly slice slice and some coriander into each steamed bun.

Note: It is possible to use Airfryer to deep fry the pork.


























To be blessed, we must not walk down the road of those who have no fear of God. We must live closely in our relationship with God, delighting and meditating upon His Word.

Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and who meditates on his law day and night. Psalm 1:1-3

1 comment:

  1. Looks good and delicious but too fatty for me. At my age I've got to be careful with my diet lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...