When there are 3 types of milk to clear in your fridge, you do not waste them.To clear all at one go, you think of Tres Leches Cake (say trey ley-chays) or 3 milk cake. Three different milk products: evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream are combined and pour into a baked cake, and leaving it to soak in the milky goodness for 30 minutes.
Pioneer Woman has a good Tres Leches Cake recipe but as I have less than half of each of the 3 milk, I used the 1/3 recipe adapted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.
Tres Leches Cake
Pioneer Woman, 1/3 recipe adapted by Kitchen flavours
For the batter:
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 whole eggs
scant 1/3 cup sugar, divided
1/2 tsp vanilla
For the milk mixture:
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup condensed milk
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp rum
For the frosting:
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp caster sugar
For the batter:
- Preheat oven to 350F(170C). Grease and line a 8 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.(I used 9 x 5)
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Separate the eggs.
- Whisk egg yolks with the sugar (leaving about 2-3 tbsps to use for the egg whites later), on high speed until yolks are pale yellow.
- Stir in the milk and vanilla. Pour egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and stir very gently until combined.
- Whisk egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. With the mixer on, pour in remaining sugar and beat until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Fold egg white mixture into the batter very gently until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and spread to even out the surface.
- Bake for about 30 minutes (25mins) or until a toothpick comes out clean. Turn cake out into a rimmed platter and allow to cool.
For the milk mixture
- Combine condensed milk, evaporated milk, heavy cream and rum in a small pitcher. Whisk the mixture lightly. When the cake is cool, pierce the surface with a fork several times. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the cake - try to get as much around the edges of the cake as you can.
- Allow the cake to absorb the milk mixture for 30 minutes.
For the frosting:
- Whisk heavy cream with sugar until thick and spreadable.
- Spread over the surface of the cake. Decorate cake with whole or chopped glazed cherries.
When the cake was in the oven, I thought I have forgotten to add in melted butter or vegetable oil in the batter. A quick check at the recipe found there is no butter and oil needed. When typing out this recipe, I also realized I have forgotten to add in baking powder!
This is a lovely cake. I was worried it will be cloyingly sweet. No, it is not. It has a nice milk flavour and cake is light, moist and not 'wet' from soaking. I also like the retro look of maraschino cherry topped cake.Now, this is also a kind of cake where you do not have to worry about smooth frosting.
Have You Got The Best Real M.I.L.K?
Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,
1 Peter 2:2
We all know milk is for nourishment of the body. It also provides immune protection and for bone strengthening. But have you got the best real M.I.L.K? This milk(God's Word) can sustain us, and can keep us both physically and spiritually.If we drink this milk everyday, it will cause us to grow up and become mature in our faith in Him. Sadly,many people don't see the need and so they never grow strong :(