Tuesday 1 October 2013

I am the Bread of Life













Recently I purchased a basic bread machine just for kneading purpose.  I have always used the mixer with hook attachment for kneading but think I might have overworked the poor mixer. One of the base rubber stopper is missing and the machine becomes noisy and shakes vigorously when I increase the speed.
Since the purchase, I have used the bread machine several times and I am very pleased with it.  This Hokkaido Milk Toast which I have baked a few times before have never tasted so good!  Soft and fluffy the way Hokkaido Milk Toast should be.











Like many others who have baked this, I refer to Christine's recipe using the tangzhong method.


Hokkaido Milk Toast
makes 2 loaves
each loaf tin size:20.5cm x 10.5cm x 9.5cm

Ingredients

540gm bread flour
86gm caster sugar
8gm salt
9gm full cream milk powder
11gm instant dried yeast
86gm whisked egg
59gm whipping cream
54gm milk
184gm tangzhong method
49gm unsalted butter, melted

Method (to make one loaf)


  • Add all ingredients (except butter) into a breadmaker,first the wet ingredients (milk,cream,egg,tangzhong), then followed by the dry ingredients (salt,sugar,milk powder,bread flour,yeast). select the "dough" mode).When all ingredients come together, pour in the melted butter, continue kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic. The time of kneading in the breadmaker is about 30 minutes. then let the dough complete the 1st round of proofing, about 40 minutes, best temperature for proofing is 28C humidity 75%, until double in size.
  • Transfer the dough to a clean floured surface. Deflate and divide into 3 equal portions. Cove with cling wrap, let rest for 15 minutes at room temperature.'Roll out each portion of the dough with a rolling pin into an oval shape. Fold 1/3 from top edge to the middle and press. Then fold 1/3 from bottom to the middle and press. Turn seal downward. Roll flat and stretch to about 30cm in length. With seal upward, roll into a cylinder. With seal facing down, place in the loaf tins to have the 2nd round of proofing until double in size. The best temperature for nd round proofing is 38C,humidity 85%.
  • Brushed whisked egg on surface. Bake in a pre-heated 180C oven for 30-35 minutes, until turns brown. Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.

Tangzhong

50gm bread flour
250ml water

  • Mix flour in water well without any lumps. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring consistently with a wooden spoon, whisk to prevent burning and sticking while you cook along the way. The mixture becomes thicker and thicker. Once you notice some :lines: appear in the mixture for every stir you make with the spoon, it's done. You get the tangzhong. Remove from heat.
  • Transfer into a clean bowl. Cover with a cling wrap sticking onto the surface of tangzhong to prevent from drying up Let cool. the tangzhong can be used straight away once it cools down to room temperature. The leftover tangzhong can be stored in fridge up to a few days as long as it doesn't turn grey. If so, you need to discard and cook some more.
Note: The chilled tangzhong should return to room temperature before adding into other ingredients.



This post is linked to Bake- Along organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Lena of  Frozen Wings and Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.










5 comments:

  1. Hi Lian,
    Firstly congratulations on your new bread machine! Aren't you glad you bought it!! Haha!
    I just love my bread machine, had it for more than 5 years now! Bread machine does the kneading much better than the stand mixer.
    Your bread looks lovely, so fluffy and soft. Yummy eaten with nutella. I like eating it with a generous spread of salted butter, and a cup of hot black coffee.
    Thanks for linking with Bake-Along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, So happy I bought the bread machine. Don't know why it took me so long to decide.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lian,

    A few years, I have brought a bread machine for my Singapore auntie and she loves using it for kneading... Electric mixer is good but I reckon bread machine is better with temperature control for me :)

    This recipe is really good! ... guess what I have baked this more than once!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zoe, I am going to bake another loaf this week:). I wanted to get the Australian bread machine which I was eyeing but I won't be going there till next year. Could'nt wait any longer so got myself a similar size one online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good morning lian, i also own a bread machine and use it occasionally. I rarely use it just for mixing dough alone and usually use it from mixing up till baking the entire loaf...now that you got a new bread machine, i foresee that you will be making breads more often..:)

    thx for trying this hokkaido milk bread, it is really one of the best breads around. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...