Monday 24 September 2012

Bread and Butter


Cranberries and Walnut loaf
This is not my first attempt on bread making. This loaf was baked using the water roux method. My kneading and folding lack skill, you can see the fruit and nuts are clustered in the centre and the texture is not as soft or fluffy as others who have baked using this method. This is already a good improvement, I just need more practises

I also baked two cakes,butter and pandan chiffon. I am visiting my sister and bringing the cakes for her. There are many butter cake recipes and I used to bake butter cakes using a recipe from my first cookbook. This cookbook was bought 33 years ago and have moved 6 times with me!

My First Cookbook
This cookbook has many local recipes and traditional and tedious ways of cooking and preparation. The foods featured are also calories laden, The pencil markings on the butter cake recipe are notes for half recipe. Sadly, I have not referred to this book for a long time because I have found better and faster ways of cooking and baking. This butter cake is one of them.
Mrs SK Ng Butter Cake
It is named Mrs SK Ng butter cake because the original recipe belongs to her! I got this recipe fromwendy's blog.

Ingrediens

230gm salted butter
200gm eggs
50+150gm sugar
200gm self raising flour,sifted
60ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method

1. Preheat oven at 180C. Prepare a 8 inch square pan. Line the base and grease the sides.
2. Separate the eggs, and place the whites into a medium sized bowl. Beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add 50gm sugar and beat until soft. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and 150gm sugar until pale and fluffy. Put in vanilla extract and beat for a while. Put in egg yolks one by one and beat well after each addition.
4. Put in half the flour and mix on low speed until incorporated. Put in milk in 2 additions and mix until well incorporated. Mix in balance of flour.
5. Put half the egg whites and mix on low speed. Pour the balance of egg whites in and Fold.
6. Pour batter into pan and level.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...