I have never had Lobster Thermidor in any restaurants. This was adapted based on what I had tried before on the plane.
According to wikipedia, Lobster Thermidor is a French dish consisting of a creamy mixture of cooked lobster meat, egg yolks, and brandy (often cognac), stuffed into a lobster shell. It can also be served with an oven-browned cheese crust, typically Gruyere. The sauce must contain mustard (typicaly powdered mustard).
I didn't want a complicated dish. so I adapted this recipe after studying a few recipes online. The ingredients I used are not French produce, but it does taste like Lobster Thermidor I had on the plane. It might look dry on the surface but buried under the golden crusted breadcrumbs is the cheesy creamy sauce with loads of chunky lobster bits.
There was no special occasion for me to cook these crustaceans. I have bought three small frozen lobster tails on a whim, and it was sitting in the freezer for nearly 6 months. This dish is now quite a retro seafood dish and is not often seen in restaurants.
Lobster Tails Thermidor
3 packaged lobster tails
4 tbsp butter
1 small white onion, chopped
1 tbsp flour
30ml white wine
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup grated white cheddar
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
2 tbsp Parmesan
2 tbsp bread crumbs
lemon wedges, for garnish
- Boil lobster tails in a pot of boiling water for 7-8 minutes. Drain and leave in ice cold water to cool.
- Use kitchen scissors to cut away soft underside of tails. Remove meat and save the shells.
- Chop the cooked meat into chunks.
- Preheat oven grill.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan. Add chopped onion and cook 3 to 5 minutes until very soft.
- In another pan, add the remaining butter (2 tbsp). When butter melts, add chopped lobster meat and saute.
- Add flour to the softened onions and cook together another 1-2 minutes. Whisk in wine, then milk. Remove sauce from heat and stir in cheddar cheese and add Old Bay seasoning. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour lobster meat and stir to combine. Spoon lobster meat into and over the shells.
- Top with Parmesan and bread crumbs. Grill on high until golden, 2-3 minutes.